- Hover your mouse over any feature of the fort to get more information about it!
- Click on the various features to see images of them!
- Click elsewhere on the map to switch to a satellite view!
This blockhouse is opened during Special Events only. Volunteer
interpreters transform this building into a field hospital, as
many of the blockhouses were after the First Siege.
(Click to see an image of Blockhouse #1)
This blockhouse appears as they all did in 1813.
(Click to see an image of the interior of Blockhouse #2)
This blockhouse was destroyed during the First Siege of Fort Meigs.
Another artillery battery, Henderson's Battery, was erected in it's
place after the siege. It was named after an Ohio Militia member
who volunteered to serve on the cannons alongside the 2nd Regiment,
U.S. Artillery. Today, the building is used for storage by site
staff and public
admittance is restricted.
(Click to see an image of Blockhouse #3)
This blockhouse exhibit highlights daily soldier life at Fort Meigs
including camp and medical displays.
(Click to see an image of the interior of Blockhouse #4)
This blockhouse has modern restrooms for visitors. In 1813,
soldiers dug sinks (holes) 100 yards outside the fort walls
to "ease" themselves. Only the sick were allowed access to
sinks within the stockade.
(Click to see an image of Blockhouse #5)
This blockhouse exhibit showcases the two sieges of Fort Meigs.
Excerpts from participants' diaries help visitors gain an
understanding of what happened.
(Click to see an image of the interior of Blockhouse #6)
This blockhouse exhibit describes the significance of the fort's
location and details its construction and defensive features.
(Click to see an image of the interior of Blockhouse #7)
The Grand Battery, or Big Battery, was the largest artillery emplacement
built at Fort Meigs, holding up to four guns. It defended Hull's Trace
and prevented the enemy from crossing the river on that road.
(Click to see an image of the Grand Battery)
Little Battery defended the length of wall between the Grand
Battery and Blockhouse #2.
(Click to see an image of Little Battery)
Croghan's Battery was named in honor of Captain George Croghan
who oversaw it's construction and served with distinction at Fort
Meigs. Croghan is best remembered for his defense of Fort
Stephenson in August, 1813, the last British invasion of Ohio.
(Click to see an image of Croghan's Battery)
Wood's Battery was named in honor of Captain Eleazar D. Wood, an early
graduate of West Point and member of the U.S. Corps of Engineers. Wood
oversaw the construction of Fort Meigs after Captain Gratiot, the chief
engineer, became ill. Today, Fort Meigs stands in Wood County, Ohio,
named in Eleazar Wood's honor. The Statue of Liberty was placed inside
the courtyard of the star-shaped Fort Wood in New York Harbor, also
named after him.
(Click to see an image of Wood's Battery)
Hukill's Battery was named after Major Levi Hukill of Pennsylvania, who
oversaw it's construction.
(Click to see an image of Hukill's Battery)
In 1908, the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), a group of veterans who fought for the Union
during the Civil War, held their national convention in Toledo, Ohio. Spurred by the coming
convention, citizens living in the Maumee Valley and local officials commissioned, built,
and dedicated the 100 foot-tall obelisk that stands at the center of Fort Meigs.
(Click to see an image of the Fort Meigs Monument.)
The Pennsylvania Monument was erected in 1922 by the State of Pennsylvania. It sits
atop the graves of Pennsylvania militiamen who died at Fort Meigs.
(Click to see an image of the Pennsylvania Monument.)
Eight gates were erected along the walls of the fort. Built high off the ground
for ease of opening in mud and snow, they had an open construction that gave
U.S. troops the ability to fire through at any enemy attempting to gain entry.
Today, the posts of the Main Gate stand only 3" off of the original gate's location.
(Click to see an image of the gate)
The quartermaster used several large log warehouses to store food and supplies for
the army. Archaeology at the site has not revealed the buildings' location or
configuration. Today, this building serves as summer offices and work area for
staff and volunteers.
(Click to see an image of the Quartermaster's building.)
This building was constructed in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration.
The WPA employed thousands of Americans during the Great Depression. Similar
buildings can still be found throughout the Maumee River Valley.
(Click to see an image of the Shelter House.)
The fort's well was dug in the opening days of the First Siege. In 1840, W. H.
Harrison successfully ran for President and the largest political rally of
the 19th Century was held at Fort Meigs. After the rally a log cabin, built
for the rally to symbolize Harrison's political campaign, was torn down and
the logs stuffed into the well. One of these logs is currently on display
in the museum.
(Click to see an artist's rendering of the well.)
The Grand Parade ground was where the army turned out each day for roll call,
inspection, and General Orders. Today, two men are buried in this field;
Lieutenants John McCullough and Robert Walker.
(Click to see an image of McCullough & Walker's gravestone.)
Measuring 12 feet high, 20 feet wide, and 300 yards long the Grand Traverse was built to protect the soldiers from incoming
British artillery rounds. Today, the Grand Traverse is much smaller due to erosion, but it is the only original part of
Fort Meigs still standing.
(Click to see an image of the Grand Traverse.)
Built to the same specifications as the Grand Traverse, the Rear Traverse gave added protection to the men within Fort Meigs.
This traverse has been completely reconstructed. River Road originally ran the same route as the Rear Traverse, but was moved
for Fort Meigs' reconstruction in the 1970s.
(Click to see an image of the Rear Traverse.)